The Battlefords North Stars didn’t show up for game 1 with their best effort and the Broncos made them pay. We know both these teams are very good and what we learned last night is that if one team takes the night off the other team will make them look bad. So the Stars will have to bounce back quickly from a very tough loss. But all season, win or lose, the Stars have given themselves until midnight to stew on a loss or enjoy a win and then they move on to the next game. Coach Hasselberg was pretty fired up on the bus on the way home and then at midnight it was time to move on and look ahead.
- The post game report for game 1 is on the blog. It’s not easy reading for Stars fans.
- Robbie Ciolfi. 4 goals in one playoff game against a defense first team like the Stars? Sure they made it a little too easy for him but it shows what a talent Ciofli is and what he can do when on his game. The Stars will have to do a better job slowing down the former Terrier.
- Joey Davies, Ryan Marshall and Josh Roach. Let’s be honest. When a team scores 9 goals a lot of guys get points and a lot of guys are playing well.
Battlefords North Stars:
- Kyle Hall had a solid third period and scored his 3rd of the playoffs. Tim Rollins also scored and he now has points in 2 straight games. Tatchell continues to lead the league in playoffs scoring (tied now with Ciofli). But really after last night’s game I don’t really think any Stars player is “hot”. And like I said they need to bounce back.
Players to Watch:
- Andrew Herle. He had a good game last night and his physical play stood out. He is from Wilkie and will likely have a lot of friends and family in the building tonight. That could mean he has another very strong game.
Battlefords North Stars
- I can’t really answer this right now. Who will be in the lineup tonight? Will we see Sheeran and Samborski draw back in? Who starts in net? Will Blake Young get into a game in this series? Too many question marks right now to really speak intelligently about which players you should keep an eye on tonight.
Regular Season Head to Head:
- Regular Season Meetings:
Battlefords 0 @ Humboldt 1 (Jan 15 2012)
Humboldt 3 @ Battlefords 2 (Dec 21 2011)
Battlefords 0 @ Humboldt 5 (Dec 11 2011)
Humboldt 1 @ Battlefords 2 (Nov 5 2011)
Humboldt 4 @ Battlefords 6 (Oct 28 2011)
Battlefords 5 @ Humboldt 4 (Oct 7 2011)
- Head to Head Leaders:
Robbie Ciolfi – 5Gp – 4G – 4A – 8PTS
Andrew Johnston – 6GP – 3G – 5A – 8PTS
Brett Miller – 6GP – 5A – 1A – 6PTS
Blake Tatchell – 6GP – 3G – 2A – 5PTS
Tanner Schwab – 6GP – 2G – 3A – 5PTS
- Playoff Meetings:
Battlefords 4 @ Humboldt 9 (Mar 16 2012)
- Playoff Leaders:
Blake Tatchell – 8GP – 3G – 7A – 10PTS
Robbie Ciolfi – 5GP – 9G – 1A – 10PTS
Ryan Marshall – 5GP – 2G – 5A – 7PTS
John Lawrence – 4GP – 2G – 4A – 6PTS
Andrew Johnston – 5Gp – 4G – 2A – 6PTS
Brody Luhning – 8GP – 2G – 4A – 6PTS
Josh Roach – 5GP – 1G – 5A – 6PTS
Kyle Hall – 8GP – 3G – 2A – 5PTS
Taylor Duzan – 4GP – 1G – 3A – 4PTS
Playoff Special Teams:
- PP – 6-21 (28.6%) PK – 24-25 (96.0%)
Battlefords North Stars
- PP – 4-25 (16.0%) PK – 18-23 (78.3%)
The Big Stat(s):
- 4. The Stars scored 4 times on Matt Hrynkiw last night. In the 2 regular season games the Stars played against Hrynkiw he allowed just 2 goals. If the Stars score 4 times tonight I think they will win the game. The Stars coaching staff is one of the best in the league. They will make adjustments tonight and I think the D will tighten up. The team D had better tighten up or it will be a short series.