North Stars Record: 6-12-0-1
Last game recap – The North Stars won 3-2 in a shootout Sunday in Weyburn. The North Stars weren’t great until the third period when they found an extra gear and found a way to overcome a 2 goal deficit. Latrell Charleson and Brenden Heinrich scored the Stars goals. Austin Evans won it in a shootout. Casey Parker was solid in net to pick up the win. That’s now back to back wins, three straight games with at least a point and two straight third period come back wins for the North Stars.
- Schedule: Back to back between these two teams. They saw each other in their most recent games. So that means a nice little rivalry should be brewing and perhaps a little bad blood. They say familiarity breeds contempt. .
- Civic Center: The North Stars as we know are 0-7 on home ice and above .500 on the road. That’s a statistical quirk that won’t last long. The Stars did lost in Estevan in their white jerseys.
- Rolling: You can’t take away from the fact that the Stars have a point in 3 straight games. And that off the back of a lengthy losing streak. You will never have a long winning streak without winning a fair chuck on home ice. It’s time to get one here and keep the roll going.
- Return: Regan and Robin Yew played their home games in Midget AAA right here at the Civic Center. At least one of them will get a chance to play a home game as a North Star here tonight.
- Health: The Stars have some guys who are a little banged up. With a few days off since Sunday’s win they should be relatively healthy and fresh. Once again, I am interested to see how the Stars lineup is put together today.
- Red Wings trade: The Wings traded away a very good 20 year old forward in Sam Williams. What they got in return I a good young D man and futures. That won’t help their offense this year unless other guys step up with increased ice time. But it’s a strong trade for their future.
Keys to the Game?
1) Full 60 – The North Stars got away with playing less than a 60 minute game against Weyburn last time out. They likely won’t get that chance here tonight. The Wings will be looking for revenge and so the Stars have to be ready to bring their ‘A’ game.
2) Relax – The Stars need to not worry about getting their first win on home ice and just focus on beating the Weyburn Red Wings tonight. What happened in the past is over and there’s nothing that can be done to go back and fix it. Relax, play their game and have some fun.
3) Pressure – I saw, eventually when a replay came on, what happened when Heinrich pressured the Wings goalie Rylan Pareanteau last time out. Stick on puck pressure and a greasy game tying goal. The North Stars are capable of playing a style where they are constantly pressuring the other team. Keep that pressure on and mistakes will be made.
North Stars Lineup:
Jake Erickson – Kyle Schmidt*
Dilon Forbes – Braden Lacoursiere
Kendall Fransoo – Latrell Charleson
Blake Young – Reed Delainey – Austin Evans*
Jake McMillen – Luke McColgan – Igor Leonenko
Regan Yew – Taylor Reich – Nick Fountain
Tanner Quinn – Ryne Keller – Ben Greenaway
Scratches: Robin Yew, Brenden Heinrich, Jack Petrino, Robin Carlson