North Stars 2014-15 Record: 15-5-5-0 NorSask North Stars Hockey Broadcast Info:
- 1050 CJNB in the Battlefords
- 102.3 CJNS in Meadow Lake
- Listen Live: http://www.cjnb.com
- Ultra Print Pregame Show – 7:15
- Puck drop – 7:30
Last game recap: – The North Stars beat Humboldt 4-2. The recap is here: https://northstarsbeacon.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/north-stars-beat-broncos/ Storylines:
- Taurean White: The North Stars announced yesterday that assistant coach and GM Taurean White has left the team to take over as the head coach with the Mattawa Blackhawks of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League. It all happened kind of quickly but in the end this is what the North Stars are all about. Helping people move on to a higher level. And now White gets a chance to take over his own team. Of course we all with White the best as he looks to turn around the Hawks. For the North Stars it creates an opening that they are already looking to fill. The Stars are accepting applications now.
- Nachtegaele: It sounds like Logan wants to get back in the lineup as soon as possible and he told me he wants to play tonight. I am not sure if that’s going to be possible but when Logan does head back out onto the ice for his next game it will be emotional. His father’s funeral was yesterday and there were hundreds and hundreds of people there. It was amazing to see so many people and goes to show what kind of person Jim was and the impact he had on people. I have also been incredibly impressed with Logan and how he has handled this situation. I can’t wait to see him back out on the ice.
- Sherwood Division: The Battlefords North Stars have played 7 games so far this season against teams from the very strong Sherwood Division. They are 5-1-1 but 6 of the 7 games have been decided in overtime or a shootout. The only previous meeting between the Stars and Mustangs saw Melfort score twice in less than two minutes before the Stars settled in and came back to win 4-3 in a shootout. In that game Spencer Tremblay let in two goals on two shots and got the hook. Will he get a chance for a little revenge tonight? We shall see.
- Kramer Division: The Estevan Bruins beat Notre Dame last night so the Stars now have a 3 point cushion on the Hounds for second in the division. The Kindersley Klippers win over Humboldt earlier in the week put the Stars 10 points up on the Broncos. So now the Stars have to set their sights on the Klippers. Kindersley is 6 points ahead and has played 3 more games. They play Melfort tomorrow night in Kindersley. We are about to reach the halfway point of the season and the standings start to take on a little more importance. if the North Stars win tonight they would move into sole possession of second place in the overall league standings as well.
- WJAC: The tryout camp roster for the World Junior A Challenge Team West was released today. North Stars center Reed Delainey will get a chance to make the team. Unfortunately, he’s the only North Star player to be invited. But hopefully he blows them away at camp and makes the team. There are 8 SJHLers on the camp roster including three from Kindersley which is where the WJAC is being staged.
- Last game’s Canadian Tire 3 Stars: 3) Jake Calverley 2) Spencer Tremblay 1) Connor Vermeulen
- Last game’s Sanberg Collision Collision of the Game: Ryne Keller
- Head to Head: Battlefords North Stars 4 – Melfort Mustangs 3 (SO) – Nov. 5th 2014
- Out of Town Scoreboard: Weyburn at Flin Flon, Yorkton at Melville
Some Keys for the Stars:
1) Fast Start – After last time these teams met this one is a bit of a no-brainer. The Stars were down 2-0 less than two minutes into the game. I said at the time that at least it was still really early with lots of time for a comeback. But there is no way the Stars want to try and do that again. It’s tough to come from behind in the SJHL and it’s a lot of work. Playing with a lead is the way to go.
2) Speed – This game will be a battle between two teams that can really skate. The game in Melfort was played at a fast pace with end to end action at times. Which ever of these two teams can use their speed more effectively will likely win tonight’s contest.
3) Attack – The North Stars have a team that can really push the pace of the game. And when they are in attack mode they can really make life tough for their opposition. If the Stars play their uptempo attacking style they have a great shot to win.
North Stars Lineup:
Erickson – Sych
Statchuk – Vermeulen
Fransoo – Calverley
Havens – McMillen – O’Sullivan
Fountain – Keller – Heinrich
Saharchuk – Bond – Townsend
Kanter – Mitchell – Nachtegaele
Scratches: Weston, Leonenko, Delainey