North Stars 2014-15 Record: 17-10-6-0
NorSask North Stars Hockey Broadcast Info:
- 1050 CJNB in the Battlefords
- 102.3 CJNS in Meadow Lake
- Listen Live: http://www.cjnb.com
- Ultra Print Pregame Show – 7:15
- Puck drop – 7:30
Last game recap: – The North Stars lost to the Bombers 3-0 last night. Tyson Empey opened the scoring in the first period for Flin Flon and they got two more in the second period. Danys Chartrand and Alex Smith also finding the back of the net. Without a strong game from Spencer Tremblay the score could have been more lopsided. The Stars had a couple of great chances but Adam Beukeboom had a relatively straight forward 23 save shutout. The Stars only able to muster 5 shots in the third period. Ryne Keller had the best two scoring opportunities but Beukeboom was able to go post to post and make two spectacular pad saves. I think the less said about last night’s game the better from a North Stars perspective. They simply did not show up for the game last night and it was their most lifeless performance of the season. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have seen a North Stars team not at least work hard and put up a fight. I also know for a fact that they always bounce back from a game like that with a really excellent effort. I am expecting nothing less than that tonight.
- At the game tonight: From the North Stars website http://www.northstars.ca: “This will be the North Stars’ Wing Night, which is sponsors by Brendon Boothman of RBC Dominion Securities Inc. Wings will be provided from Blend Restaurant and Bar. The North Stars also plan to pass a skate around each section in the rink and collect donations for the new BTEC Building during the second period of the game. There will be a second intermission Puck Toss with all the money raised also going to the campaign. After the game in the lounge, the Battlefords North Stars will hold a Players Community Auction with the help of Kramer Auction Sales. All the North Stars will be up for auction and can be purchased to work at local businesses, help promote sales or record radio ads, make public appearances, go on the ice for hockey practice or skate with fans or other options approved by the Battlefords North Stars. The players will be available for four(4) hours from either 1 to 5 p.m. or 5 to 9 p.m. on January 6, 14 or 28. There will also be door prizes drawn after the game and winners will need to be in attendance to win.”
- Shutout: That’s the second time this year that the North Stars have been shutout but also the first time. Hang with me on this one a bit. They were technically shutout in a 1-0 win over Weyburn in which they won the game 1-0 in a shootout. So Jack Burgart picked up a shutout against the North Stars but the Stars also picked up a 1-0 win. So last night was the first time the Stars have been shutout this season in a game that they lost and the first time a zero has been put on their goals for column after a game.
- Last Game of the Year: This will be the last chance to see everyone before the holidays so for those I don’t get to see tonight and those of you who read and listen from out of town I want to wish you all happy holidays and all of the best in 2015. With one game left on the schedule the North Stars have a record spread over two seasons of 35-11-7 in 2014. 40-16-7 if you include the playoffs. It was a really great year. Thanks to all the players and their families, the Stars coaches, board members, volunteers, billets, and of course the fans for helping to make 2014 a spectacular year. The North Stars will really want a win tonight to end this year on a high.
- Last game’s Canadian Tire 3 Stars: 3) Ryne Keller 2) Tyson Empey 1) Adam Beukeboom
- Last game’s San-Berg Collision Collision of the Game: Nick Fountain
- Head to Head:
Battlefords 4 @ Flin Flon 3 (OT) (Oct 11 2014)
Flin Flon 3 @ Battlefords 0 (Dec 19 2014)
- Out of Town Scoreboard: La Ronge at Melfort
Some Keys for the Stars:
I am leaving them basically the same as last night. Provided that the Stars compete tonight. That’s the only key that matters.
1) Finish Off – The Stars have struggled in the past in their final game before the break. That’s something that they will look to correct for tonight’s game. I know because I have had my suitcase packed since Tuesday. It’s tough not to think about getting home, seeing family and friends and enjoying the holidays. But the focus has to be on the ice tonight.
2) Good Start – The Stars will have to be on their game in order to take the two points from tonight’s game. Now that the Bombers have some momentum and are coming off a good win they will have confidence and a good feeling for tonight’s game. It’s important not to let them carry that momentum from last night into tonight’s game.
3) Defense – The Bombers can score like crazy if you let them. So the Stars can’t let them. Some of their big offensive guys were quiet last night even though they won. The Stars have done a good job on Chris Raukman so far this season. That needs to continue into this evening’s encounter.
North Stars Lineup:
Erickson – Sych
Fransoo – Calverley
Statchuk – Vermeulen
Fountain – Keller – Townsend
Saharchuk – McMillen – Heinrich
Havens – Delainey – Leonenko
Kanter – Bond – O’Sullivan
Scratches: Nachtegaele, Mitchell, Weston