North Stars 2014-15 Record: 18-13-6-0
NorSask North Stars Hockey Broadcast Info:
- 1050 CJNB in the Battlefords
- 102.3 CJNS in Meadow Lake
- Listen Live: http://www.cjnb.com
- Ultra Print Pregame Show – 7:15
- Puck drop – 7:30
Last game recap: – The North Stars lost at home to Humboldt. The recap is here: https://northstarsbeacon.wordpress.com/2015/01/14/stars-fall-on-home-ice/
- Trouble in Weyburn: The president of the Weyburn Red Wings went to the press yesterday to discuss the team’s financial troubles. You can read more at Discover Weyburn (www.discoverweyburn.com). The Red Wings are as much as 180,000 dollars in debt and the team may be forced to fold after this season. That would be terrible as the Wings are a founding member of the SJHL and have been around for over 50 years. Hopefully the team and the community of Weyburn can rally together to save the team. My first year with the North Stars the team had a great year, a couple rounds of playoffs and cost cutting measures worked. The team went from in the red to in the black. And it was a significant swing. The Stars went from just under 70 thousand dollars in the whole to over 37 thousand dollars in the black. It can be done and with the help of the community there is a chance that Weyburn can save the Wings.
- Kid in the Hall: The North Stars have added Bryce Hall to the roster and he will be a North Star for the rest of the season. The young forward almost made the team out of training camp. Hall was leading the Swift Current Leagionaires in scoring this season. But Swift is not a very good team in the SMAAAHL and will not be making the playoffs. I think bringing Hall up now makes a lot of sense. He will get to know the SJHL as a 17 year old. He’ll learn and develop under a really quality coaching staff and from some pretty good players. And he’s a talented offensive player who will be at his best when he has really good players surrounding him. His older brother Kyle played for the Stars and is now doing very well in NCAA Div 3 for SUNY Plattsburgh. And it’s nice having the Hall family back in the North Stars fold full time.
- Southern Sun: The North Stars depart for 3 games in 3 days including a Hockey Day in Saskatchewan game on Saturday against the Notre Dame Hounds. It starts tonight in Weyburn. This is always a trip that helps to bring a team together and they learn a lot about themselves and their team mates over the course of the three games.
- Goalies: Spencer Tremblay left Tuesday’s game versus Humboldt after the first period. I am not sure on his status just yet. But if he isn’t able to go then the Stars will have to rely to Ryan Rewerts in net. Nothing wrong with that though as the rookie tender has been solid whenever he’s been called upon this season. 3 in 3 can be tough and a young goalie may not be used to that busy of a schedule. But the Stars have been through/are going through plenty of adversity. It’s just a test that they will work through and be better for when they come out the other side.
- Last game’s Canadian Tire 3 Stars: 3) Brady O’Sullivan 2) Matthew Kenney 1) Reed Delainey
- Last game’s San-Berg Collision Collision of the Game: Igor Leonenko
- Head to Head:
Battlefords 1 – Weyburn 0 (SO) (Nov 14 2014)
Battlefords 3 – Weyburn 2 (Nov 16 2014)
Weyburn 3 – Battlefords 2 (Nov 22 2014)
- Out of Town Scoreboard: Nipawin at La Ronge, Melfort at Humboldt, Flin Flon at Kindersley, Estevan at Melville
Some Keys for the Stars:
1) Work – This will be a difficult game for the Stars as the Red Wings are a better team than their record indicates. They got off to a terrible start but have a legitimate shot at winning their division. They may be the hardest working team in the SJHL and they’ve added just enough skill to be very dangerous. The Stars simply have to outwork the Wings for a full 60.
2) PPG – The Wings have allowed 18 power play goals against in 18 home games this season. Their home PK is 10th in the league out of 12 teams. The Stars powerplay, shorthanded goals aside, has looked great of late. Braeden Johnson has done a fantastic job with that unit and that’s an area the Stars can look to exploit tonight.
3) Fun – It has been such a tough stretch for the North Stars. They haven’t been winning as much as they would like. There has been adversity, a trade of their captain, injuries, illness and more. Maybe now is a good time to get out on the road, relax a little and just get back to basics. And hopefully have fun. Earlier in the year it seemed like the Stars were a pretty easy going group that was just having a good time and they were winning. Maybe that’s just my memory playing tricks on me but I don’t see any reason why the Stars can’t have a good time and that good time, fun hockey leading to wins.
North Stars Lineup:
Erickson – Statchuk
Weston – Vermeulen
Sych – Fransoo
Saharchuk – Delainey – O’Sullivan
Bond – Havens – Leonenko
Fountain – McMillen – Heinrich
Townsend – Kanter – Mitchell
Scratches: Hall, Calverley, Nachtegaele, Tremblay