Best of 5 Wildcard Series – Series tied 2-2
NorSask North Stars Hockey Broadcast Info:
- 1050 CJNB in the Battlefords
- 102.3 CJNS in Meadow Lake
- Listen Live: http://www.cjnb.com
- Ultra Print Pregame Show – 7:30pm
- Puck drop – 7:15pm
Last game recap: – The North Stars lost game 4 in Estevan. Check the recap here: https://northstarsbeacon.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/bruins-force-game-5/
- Elimination: The series will end tonight. The winner moves on the loser is done. If the Stars win they will move on to face Kindersley. If the Bruins win they will head to Melfort to face the Mustangs. Because of that quirk the Weyburn Red Wings still don’t know who they will face in the quarter final round. The last time the North Stars played in a game like this where the series was going to end no matter who won? They beat Nipawin in a game 7 at the Civic Center in overtime. I remember it like it was yesterday. These are games you don’t forget.
- Home Ice: The North Stars were much better than Estevan over the course of the regular season and that’s why the game will be played here in the Battlefords tonight. That’s the reason you play those games. So that you can play a game like this at home. It doesn’t guarantee anything of course and the Bruins have won at the Civic Center once in this series before. So anything can happen. But let’s hope that the home town crowd is big and loud and helps get the Stars over the line.
- Lineup: The North Stars have been playing with 3 APs in the lineup the last couple games. The Bruins with one. It sounds like maybe the Stars will be getting a regular or two back in their lineup tonight. I am not sure how healthy the Bruins are at this point. It will be interesting to see who gets into the game tonight.
- Goaltending: Spencer Tremblay and Tyler Fuhr have really battled each other in this series. Every game decided by a single goal. The goalies stats are almost identical. Tremblay has a .911 save percentage and a 2.79 goals against average. Fuhr is at .908 and 2.77. In a game like this I think the goalies will also be so important and either one is capable of stealing a game.
- Last game’s Canadian Tire 3 Stars: 3) Kendall Fransoo 2) Matt Saharchuk 1) Tyler Fuhr
- Last game’s San-Berg Collision Collision of the Game: Logan Nachtegaele
Some Keys for the Stars:
1) Trust – In a game like tonight the guys on the ice are going to have to trust each other and work together as a unit. They have to believe in each other and rely on each other. The Stars are successful when they work as a 5 man unit. That means they have to do their job and know that the other guys on the ice are going to get their job done as well.
2) Step Up – There are going to be chances for someone to step up and be a hero. All of the guys who suit up tonight will have to be mentally ready to be that guy. Whatever it takes to be that hero. Scoring a goal, a big save, getting a puck off the glass and out, blocking a shot or throwing a big hit. Whatever it takes and whoever it is there will be moments in this game that will require someone to step up. Which ever team is ready and willing to do that will be successful.
3) Intimidate – With a big crowd on hand and raring to go I think it is key for the North Stars to come out flying and really take the game to the Bruins. Lots of hits and pressure. Play with speed and confidence. And let the Bruins know that the Stars are not going to go down without a massive fight. It’s likely that whichever team wants it more will win tonight so let’s see the Stars want it. Make them think very early that it’s going to be a long night.
North Stars Lineup:
Fransoo – Sych
Statchuk – Spagrud ‘AP’
Erickson – Kleiboer ‘AP’
Hall – McMillen – Heinrich
Fountain – Saharchuk – Vermeulen
Calverley – Townsend – Leonenko
Kanter – Mitchell – Nachtegaele
Scratches: Weston, Delainey, O’Sullivan, Havens