Best of 7 Quarter-final Series – Kindersley Leads Series 3-0
NorSask North Stars Hockey Broadcast Info:
- 1050 CJNB in the Battlefords
- 102.3 CJNS in Meadow Lake
- Listen Live: http://www.cjnb.com
- Ultra Print Pregame Show – 7:30pm
- Puck drop – 7:15pm
Last game recap: – The North Stars are on the brin kof elimination after falling 6-2 last night in Kindersley. The Klippers able to jump out to a 4-0 lead after the first period once again. Marc Dubeau was found all alone in the slot and fired to the top corner past Spencer Tremblay to open the scoring. Not long later Devin Case scored a power play marker to make it 2-0 and a sense of deja vu came over the rink in Kindersley.
The Klippers got another later in the frame when Braden Oleksyn, again on a power play, popped home a rebound. And with the Stars on the power play late in the first period Joel Webb raced away in alone on Tremblay and made no mistake to make it 4-0 after the first.
The Klippers increased their lead with another power play goal in the second. This time it was against Ryan Rewerts who replaced Tremblay in net. The shot went in off the post as Webb scored his second of the game. That was early in the second. But from there on out the North Stars were able to steady the ship.
The got goals in the third period from Igor Leonenko. He slid the puck home after a shot from Jake Calverley was blocked to the side of the net. And then Matt Havens made a nice little backhand drop pass to Jake McMillen on a power play and he fired in off the post. By that time the Klippers had added a 6th goal though and the final score was 6-2.
The North Stars now trail the series 3-0.
There were a ton of penalties in last night’s game and I have never seen so many 5-on-3 power plays. I think the Klippers have about 4 of them and one lasted for well over 3 minutes. There were two fights as well. Owen LaClare taking exception to ahit from Baxter Kanter that was a little late. Kanter got anextra two for interference. It wasn’t much of a fight in terms of punches landed but Kanter did get in a few shots. Connor Sych then dropped the gloves with Landon Gross and tagged the Klipper with a straight right that dropped Gross. The benches got into it after that a little as well. There’s still plenty of fire in this series.
- Scholarships: We spoke about it last night on the broadcast but I just want to formally say my congratulations to a pair of North Stars. Jake Erickson has officially committed to Air Force. He will play division 1 hockey there next season and go to school. Air Force Academy. That’s pretty cool. It’s a well deserved scholarship for a great young man that I have enjoyed getting to know. His family are here visiting and his parents were with him when he found out he was going to get that opportunity. And all of that makes me so very happy. Also, Brenden Heinrich will be heading to play Div. 3 hockey next season at Norwich. And again congratulations go out to a really talented hockey player. Heinrich does so many things well on the ice that he is going to be a really useful player for Norwich moving forward. That’s a young man that has come a long way in two years as a North Star and has matured a lot. That makes 3 Division 1 scholarships (Delainey, Sych and Erickson) and one Division 3 schoalrship (Heinrich) so far this season. That’s a hell of a successful season no matter what happens the rest of the playoffs.
- Elimination: There’s nothing much else that needs to be said. It’s a win or go home game for the North Stars. They must win or they are done. Brenden Heinrich, Nick Fountain, Michael Statchuk and Spencer Tremblay will be on the ice for potentially the last time in their junior careers. Can they extend the series?
- Home Ice: In a strange quirk the North Stars always seem to play deciding games on home ice. A Game 7 win in OT versus Nipawin in 2012. A Game 6 loss that same year versus Humboldt. A game 3 loss the next season versus Melfort. A Game 5 win at home last season versus Estevan was followed by game 5 loss at home versus Melfort. And early in this very playoffs a game 5 win at home over Estevan. For some reason the North Stars playoffs under Coach Hasselberg have either been won or lost at the Civic Center. That trend could continue tonight. Let’s hope that it doesn’t.
- Havens: The North Stars got Matt Havens back from injury last night and he looked pretty good as he picked up an assist. He’ll be even better now with a game under his belt. But the North Stars will be without Bryce Hall once again. The Stars will have the same lineup tonight that they had last night. They will continue to battle with the players they have and have said they are happy with the work they ‘APs’ have done. They can’t get any fresh legs into the lineup or any of their missing key players back. But that won’t stop them from battling to fight off elimination.
- Last game’s Canadian Tire 3 Stars: 3) Cody Young 2) Matt Havens 1) Joel Webb
- Last game’s San-Berg Collision Collision of the Game: Kendall Fransoo
- Regular Season Head to Head:
Battlefords 6 @ Kindersley 5 (SO) (Mar 3 2015)
Kindersley 2 @ Battlefords 3 (Dec 10 2014)
Kindersley 4 @ Battlefords 3 (Oct 30 2014)
Battlefords 4 @ Kindersley 3 (Oct 21 2014)
Kindersley 3 @ Battlefords 2 (OT) (Oct 7 2014)
Battlefords 2 @ Kindersley 1 (SO) (Sep 27 2014)
Battlefords 3 @ Kindersley 4 (OT) (Sep 20 2014)
Kindersley 5 @ Battlefords 2 (Sep 19 2014)
- Out of Town Scoreboard: Notre Dame at Flin Flon, Melville at Nipawin, Melfort at Weyburn
- Playoff Schedule:
Game #1 – Kindersley 9 – Battlefords 0
Game #2 – Kindersley 3 – Battlefords 2 (2OT)
Game #3 – Kindersley 6 – Battlefords 2
Game #4 – Mar. 18th – 7:30pm @ Civic Center
Game #5 – Mar. 20th – 7:30pm @ West Central Events Center (if necessary)
Game #6 – Mar. 22nd – 7:30pm @ Civic Center (if necessary)
Game #7 – Mar. 24th – 7:30pm @ West Central Events Center (if necessary)
(The Ultra Print pregame show begins 15 minutes prior to each game)
Some Keys for the Stars:
1) Special Teams – The Klippers have 8 power play goals in the series. The North Stars have one. Kindersley has also scored a couple short handed. If the North Stars can’t find a way to at least get a draw in terms of special teams play they will have a tough time forcing a game 5.
2) Draws – The North Stars were crushed in the faceoff circle last night. They were constantly chasing the puck and the Klippers took advantage. The Stars have to find a way to win more draws and possess the puck more.
3) Contributions – This one is taken directly from coach Hasselberg on last night’s post-game show. He said every single player in the lineup tonight has to contribute. Not in terms of goals necessarily. But in any way possible. Find a way to impact the game in a positive way. They need everyone if they are going to extend the series.
North Stars Lineup:
Fransoo – Sych
Statchuk – Weston
Calverley – Spagrud ‘AP’
Havens – McMillen – Heinrich
Saharchuk – Fountain – Leonenko
Kanter – Townsend – Nachtegaele
Bendall ‘AP’ – Mitchell – Vermeulen
Scratches: O’Sullivan, Delainey, Hall, Erickson, Kleiboer ‘AP’